Saturday, July 19, 2014

Bookish Discussion: To Re-read or Not To Re-read?


Re-reading
Two weeks ago we talked about our TBR lists and choosing what to read next. I mentioned that I've become more of a mood reader, reading books I want, not just review books. And right along with reading my "just for fun" books, I've also been re-reading a lot of my favorite books. So this week we'll be talking about re-reading!

This used to be me... but I re-read book all the time now!
Re-reading books is actually something I used to not do, like, at all! This was me: "Re-read? I can't read a book I've already read before! Ain't nobody got time for that! Why re-read a book when I can read something new and find my favorite new book? Beside, have you seen my TBR mountain? Yeah, it's not even a pile anymore!" Gods, who was this uptight booknerd who said this? Oh wait... *clears throat* Awkward...

I reread books not because I forgot. I reread to make sure I remember... Although if I'm being honest with myself, it's sometimes the 1st one ;)
Anyway, this was my mindset before the start of this year. I just wanted to read ALL the books! I still want to read ALL the books, but one day I told myself, "Chica, you're stressing yourself out! Slow your roll and just read what you want when you want every once in a while. Those other books will still be there waiting for you when you're done with this re-read!" And oh boy, I have not looked back!

it astonishes me every time
I discovered that I love re-reading some of my favorite books when I just can't seem to be in the mood for anything else. It's so nice plunging into a familiar world I know I enjoyed in the first place. It's especially amusing when a re-read surprises me as much the second time around. I should've seen it coming, but I didn't!



What do you think? Do you like reliving some of your favorite stories once in a while or do you just go for your unread TBR pile? Let me know in the comments below, or feel free to link me up to a post you've done yourself! :)

5 comments:

  1. I've re-read some of my favourite books so so so many times! And sometimes when I see quotes from the pop here and there I feel like re-reading the book again, it's like comfort food! Though as of late I haven't re-read anything at all for a long time, too all consumed with new books too!
    I plan to re-read some books now that the series or trilogy is over, once you read the last book and realize your view of things you thought were one way aren't exactly like that, it's wonderful to find things you might have missed and not considered important on your first read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like comfort food... I never thought about it that way but yes! I totally agree! And I definitely love finding things I may have missed on my first read... it actually surprises me when the book surprises me for the 2nd time! lol

      Delete
  2. Yeaaah, I'm not really into re-reading, like yourself before. Although, I could re-read and re-read The Mortal Instruments series without getting bored of it that's how much I like it. It's exactly why you said it; I have a TBR mountain!! And I want it to become a pile again so ain't gonna happen. xd Plus, I get to excited when new books are released as well and want to read those first but then some more come and ugh, lol. Nice post! :D

    Lola @ Hit or Miss Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those TBR mountains are out of control! LOL. And I can totally see where you are coming from! All those shiny new releases... need to have them all! *grabby hands*

      Delete
  3. I don't reread because I'm trying to read all my other books, but I still like thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete